Register to Vote

Wisconsin voter registration web site:

Register Online

Eligible Wisconsin Voters who have a current and valid Wisconsin Driver License or Wisconsin State ID Card can now register completely online! If your name, date of birth, Wisconsin Driver License or State ID number, and address all match the information on file with the Wisconsin DMV, you will no longer need to mail or deliver your registration form!

If your information is current with Wisconsin DMV, you can start a new voter registration, update the name on your voter registration, or update your address for voting purposes. If your information with Wisconsin DMV is not current, you will first need to update your information with the Wisconsin DMV before you register to vote online. You can update your address online with Wisconsin DMV at If you need to update your name with the Wisconsin DMV, you will need to appear in-person at a Wisconsin DMV office. Learn more about updating your name here 

If we are unable to match your voter information with Wisconsin DMV, or if you do not have a current Wisconsin Driver License or Wisconsin State ID card you will still be able to use MyVote to start your voter registration. You will be able to complete your registration form on this site, then you will then need to print, sign, and mail or deliver your form to your municipal clerk along with a proof of residence document. Detailed instructions on completing this process will be provided.

Get started with your Wisconsin voter registration here! 

Register at the Polling Place on Election Day

If you wish to register to vote at your polling place, you must bring proof that you have lived at your present location for 10 days preceding the election. For purposes of voter registration, a form of identification constitutes acceptable proof of residence if it includes:

  • A current and complete name, including both the given and family name; and
  • A current and complete residential address, including a numbered street address, if any, and the name of a municipality.

Forms of identification which constitute acceptable proof of residence when they contain the information specified above, include the following:

  • A current and valid (unexpired and not suspended or revoked) State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card.
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business, and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes election day.
  • A university, college or technical institute identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list, that indicates citizenship, to the municipal clerk.
  • A gas, electric or telephone service statement for the period commencing not earlier than 90 days before election day.
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck or paystub.
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
  • A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
  • Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
  • An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility.

This is not a comprehensive list, but categories of the most common types used by voters.

You may present your Proof of Residence document as a hard copy, paper document or an electronic document on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. An internet connection will not be provided for your use.

Government agencies can include local, state, or federal units of government.

Local units of government include: public school district, city, town or village clerk or treasurer’s office, your county clerk or treasurer, and many others

State units of government include: Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV or DOT), Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Department of Workforce Development (DWD), Department of Human Services (DHS), and many others

Federal units of government include: Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Medicare (not second party vendors), Social Security, and many others.

Examples Of Proof Of Residence Documents Issued By A Government Agency

This is not a comprehensive list. These are only examples of proof of residence documents.

  • Fishing and hunting licenses
  • Vehicle registrations
  • Food stamps, Wisconsin Works, Wisconsin Shares, and BadgerCare notices and correspondence
  • Medicare notices and Medicare Explanation of Benefits (not from 2nd party providers or other health insurance providers)
  • Social Security and SSI notices and benefits statements
  • Public high school, technical college, and public university correspondence and documents, including: admissions correspondence, financial aid notices, report cards, and schedules
  • Federal student loan correspondence and notices
  • Billing statements and collection notices from a governmental entity
  • Correspondence from a federally recognized Native American Tribe living in Wisconsin

Prior to the new Voter ID law, if you had no acceptable proof of residence, your registration form could be substantiated and signed by one other elector who resided in your municipality, corroborating your residency information. YOU MAY NO LONGER USE A CORROBORATOR TO ESTABLISH RESIDENCY.

If you are unsure if your document will qualify as acceptable Proof of Residence, please contact:  Your municipal clerk or

The Wisconsin Elections Commission: 1-866-VOTE-WIS